The Environment Artist at Ballistic Moon reports to the Environment Art lead. This role is a specialised hire for the art team and requires a varied skillset, equal parts technical and creative.
The fundamental skills required for the role are good problem-solving capabilities and a solid understanding of environment art pipelines. You should have interests in vegetation, set dressing and landscape materials and lighting. You will be responsible for delivering benchmark quality assets and in game environments as well as ancillary tasks such as lighting and vfx set up.
Your responsibilities will include...
- Deliver high-quality assets and materials
- Keep up to date on best practices for environment art creation
- Keep abreast of practices and peer products
- Create and collaborate on all environment work, both in studio and outsourced
- Create well written animation documentation where required
- Work with Producers and the leads to ensure realistic timelines are provided
- Document best practices and ideologies that benefit both your own work and art team efficiency in general
- Be proactive in learning and role improvement
- Work effectively with outsource teams and provide clear and easy to follow guidance
- Own implementation of environment work from start to finish
The skills and experience you'll bring to the role include...
- Portfolio showcasing key skills in environment work with focus on landscape, vegetation and trees and their associated pipelines
- Experience with procedural materials using substance suite, materialise or Quixxel suite
- Proven experience in Maya, Substance, Photoshop and PBR workflows
- 2+ years games industry experience or equivalent qualification in game art with environment art as a speciality
- Professional experience is preferred with at least one shipped title Alternate industry experience such as film, tv or advertising is also appropriate
- Comfortable presenting updates and pre-production work to the development team and leads
- A passion for games with a good understanding of the games industry, development cycles and professional workflows
- Friendly and collaborative nature, proactive in problem solving and seeking feedback
- Comfortable working remotely
Bonus points if you have...
- Working experience in UE4, Unity and in-house game engines
- A keen in interest in research and a willingness to experiment
- Have a good eye for lighting, cinematography and composition
- Excellent memory management and time keeping skills
- Have worked within an agile development methodology
- Have worked remotely