We’re supporting Splash Damage with their search for a Lead Gameplay Programmer.
Splash Damage create multiplayer combat games that champion team play and promote lifelong friendships. Members of the Gameplay programming team at Splash Damage are responsible for implementing new and exciting gameplay features within a multiplayer environment. You will work closely with other disciplines to help them realise their ideas through rapid prototyping and iterative agile development.
As a Lead Gameplay Programmer, you will consider the skills and talents of your team members and use their experience to identify risk, build roadmaps and become a force-multiplier for your team, mentoring them every step of the way.
As an Unreal Engine focused studio, Splash Damage are transitioning their teams to the latest in UE5 technology and are looking for skilled and passionate developers to help us drive this. Splash Damage are advocates for work-life balance and offer a comprehensive benefits package focused on the well-being of their staff and their families.
Your responsibilities will include…
- Setting clear technical direction, intent, and best practices within your team
- Identifying risks and blockers early and proactively removing them
- Work effectively in open and collaborative environments
- Work closely with project leadership to plan long term road maps and improve development processes
- Seeing the big picture impact of decisions and critically evaluating them
- Write clear, maintainable, and scalable code as needed
- Nurturing professional growth within your team with an enthusiastic attitude and a team-first mentality
- Communicating ideas, intent, and constraints to both technical and non-technical team members
The experience you’ll bring to the role…
- Expert knowledge of C++, with relevant professional experience
- Strong understanding of game-development related 3D maths principles
- The leadership skills to lead a gameplay development team
- Professional experience iteratively implementing gameplay features from inception to delivery
- Experience working in all phases of game development, from feature design to planning and establishing roadmaps, implementation, and bug-fixing
- Able to analyse and debug unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module
- Has knowledge and experience driving an agile methodology within a team
- Experience working closely with design teams to elicit requirements and design gameplay systems
- Ability to review and give feedback on teams work in a clear and constructive manner
- Professional development experience with real-time networked multiplayer games
- Professional Unreal Engine 4 development experience on PC and/or consoles
- Experience with multi-threaded development
- Experience developing for Xbox Series, PlayStation5, Xbox One and/or PS4
- Experience profiling and optimising code for optimal CPU, memory, and bandwidth usage
- Experience in animation programming
- Experience developing procedurally generated environments
This is an opportunity to represent one of the heavyweights of the UK gaming industry, few other studios can offer what Splash Damage can in terms of projects, benefits, and flexibility in working.