Splash Damage celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics earlier this year, and they’re currently developing Outcasters for Stadia (along with several other unannounced games). Do you have what it takes to lead their gameplay development team?
Splash Damage, create multiplayer combat games that champion team play and promote lifelong friendships. Members of the gameplay programming team at this studio are responsible for implementing new and exciting gameplay features within a multiplayer environment. They work closely with other disciplines to help them realise their ideas through rapid prototyping and iterative agile development.
As a Lead Gameplay Programmer, you will consider the skills and talents of your team members and use their experience to identify risk, build roadmaps, and become a force-multiplier for your team, mentoring them every step of the way.
As an Unreal Engine focused studio, they're excited to be transitioning their teams to the latest in UE5 technology, and they're looking for skilled and passionate developers to help them drive this.
You'll need to be good at:
- Setting clear technical direction, intent, and best practices within your team
- Identifying risks and blockers early and then proactively removing them
- Working effectively in open and collaborative environments
- Working closely with project leadership to plan long term road maps and improve development processes
- Seeing the big picture impact of decisions and critically evaluating them
- Write clear, maintainable, and scalable code as needed
- Nurturing professional growth within your team with an enthusiastic attitude and a team-first mentality
- Communicating ideas, intent, and constraints to both technical and non-technical team members
The skills and XP you'll need to succeed:
- Expert knowledge of C++, with relevant professional experience
- Strong understanding of game-development related 3D maths principles
- The leadership skills to lead a gameplay development team
- Professional experience iteratively implementing gameplay features from inception to delivery
- Experience working in all phases of game development, from feature design to planning/establishing roadmaps, implementation, and bug-fixing
- Able to analyse and debug unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module
- Knowledge and experience driving an agile methodology within a team
- Able to work closely with design teams to elicit requirements and design gameplay systems
- Confident with reviewing and giving feedback on team's work in a clear and constructive manner
Bonus points if you have:
- Professional development experience with real-time networked multiplayer games
- Are capable with Unreal Engine 4 development experience on PC and/or consoles
- Experience with multi-threaded development
- Confident developing for Scarlet, PS5, Xbox One, and/or PS4
- A history of profiling and optimising code for optimal CPU, memory, and bandwidth usage
- Experience in animation programming
- Able to develop procedurally generated environments