Network / Online Programmer (Remote)
Rebellion – Oxford, UK
We’re working with Rebellion to find an experienced Network/Online Programmer to join their core engine technology team. This is an exciting opportunity to work on innovative technology, supporting multiple AAA titles currently in development for all current and next-generation platforms.
As a Network/Online programmer you will be dedicated to working on new technology as part of their internal tech team, you will focus on supporting online multiplayer features for PC and consoles and write and develop network code to push the boundaries and drive their industry-leading internal engine and tools suite even further.
This role would suit an experienced & innovative Network/Online programmer proficient in writing code with the confidence to suggest new ideas, tools and methods to improve the online gameplay of Rebellions games on all platforms.
- Write and develop robust maintainable engine code
- Implement features across current and next-gen platforms, including prototypes and new tech
- Identify and solve technical problems, including cross-platform issues, debugging, profiling, and optimising for reduced memory usage and increased real-time performance
- Integrate APIs such as PlayStation network, XBOX Live and Steamworks
- Maintain and add to existing codebase, including low/mid-level systems to support pipelines and higher-level programmers
- Respond to feature requests and bug reports from game development staff
- Research new tools, techniques, and processes and how they can benefit Rebellion
- Collaborate productively, communicating ideas and issues clearly across disciplines
- Be responsive to deadlines and work well under pressure, meeting multiple production objectives and deadlines
The skills and experience you’ll bring to the role…
- Excellent C/C++ skills with the ability to write clear maintainable code
- Strong debugging, profiling, and optimising skills
- Ability to work with a large existing codebase, learn new systems/concepts and implement them quickly and efficiently
- Effective communication and teamwork with game developers from all disciplines
- Excellent initiative, self-motivation, organisational and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge and interest in networking, online gaming, and use of third-party multiplayer APIs
For 30 years Rebellion have been creating incredible video games; they also have their own film and mo-cap studio, they create board games, publish books, and through 2000AD, publish comics and graphic novels such as the amazing Judge Dredd.
This is a key role at one of the last big UK studios that are still independently owned. Work-life balance is important to Rebellion, and they want everyone at Rebellion to work in the way that works best for them, so as long as you are based in the UK, they are able to offer full remote opportunities.
For more information about the role or studio get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1709 834777.