World Design Director
Smilegate - Barcelona, ES
Smilegate are on the lookout for a World Design Director to join their talented team! Their primary goal is to develop a combination of best-in-class combat and exploration spaces to create a living world of possibility that will deeply immerse players.
Working hand in hand with the art and design departments, this is an opportunity to get in on the ground floor and build your own team on a project where the world is a central part.
For this role, you'll need...
- A drive and passion for creating meaningful and inspiring areas that players will want to explore
- Excellent knowledge of the competition and the methods they use to create open-world play spaces
- A respect for combat spaces and the metrics used in their construction to enable dynamic and compelling battle spaces
- The ability to operate both at a high world level but also at the low encounter-based level
- High-level awareness of environmental storytelling a knowing how to enrich the locations with such
- Excellent track record - credited on at least 2 shipped games either as Lead level/World Director, Lead/ Senior-Level/World Designer
- Working knowledge of at least one of the major 3D modelling packages and being able to get hands-on to create environments
- Strong level design skills - capable of defining level metrics and consistently applying them
- Comprehensive understanding of what works and doesn’t in leading open-world games - especially how combat spaces and terrain narrative intersect
- Strong communication abilities across multiple teams
- Ability to lead by example and delegate as required
As a World Design Director, you will...
- Work with the Creative Director to define, own and champion the project's living world pillars and vision
- Drive the development and creation of high-quality AAA environments
- Be the representative for world design to all other parties
- Collaborate with the combat, AI, and narrative leads to design and implement gameplay enabling playspaces
- Build up a best-in-class world and level design team by helping to interview and hire level designers
- Be the mentor, guide, and leader of your team of handpicked designers
- Provide meaningful feedback to the world design team during play sessions
- Create and maintain a prospering level design culture within the world design team.
- Help drive the development of standard-setting world design tools and workflow
- Ensure a productive internal workflow and beneficial relationships with external partners
- Working with other teams to develop immersion enhancing features such as weather and night/day systems
- Experience with procedural methods of content creation a bonus
Just some of the benefits of working with Smilegate include...
- Breakfast in the office
- Restaurant tickets
- 23 vacation days per year + Christmas to the new year
- Develop your career working in a super exciting environment with a great working atmosphere
- Fully stocked studio kitchen
- 16 weeks Maternity and Paternity leave, plus full parental flexibility
- Flexible working hours & flexible Friday
- Remote working options
- Private health insurance, including dental coverage
- Team building events
- Relocation package/assistance and VISA support
Interested? Want to know more?
Call Dave Moss on +44 (0) 1709834777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org