Romero Games are developing their next First Person Shooter in partnership with a major publisher! This is an unprecedented opportunity to join a thriving independent development studio and work on a high-profile title that will be played by millions of gamers worldwide.
As a Principal Character Artist at the studio, you'll create, sculpt, model, UV, and texture AAA quality characters, creatures, and some weapons. Additionally, you will work closely with the Creative Director and Art Director to ensure the visual target is always exceeded and stylistically consistent.
- Provide strong leadership and thoughtful direction
- Help set the tone for character creation using advanced techniques and the latest tools
- Actively participate in technical and aesthetic problem-solving discussions for the entire project
- Coordinate with tools and technology teams to help develop necessary solutions for creating the best characters possible
- Create assets that satisfy their intended design and are ready for rigging and animation
- Create your character following the production schedule that is well coordinated with production
- Mentor less experienced artists by providing creative and technical advice, guidance, and feedback
The skills and experience you'll bring to the role...
- 6+ years in the game industry with 2 or more shipped titles
- High proficiency with the leading tools used for character creation such as 3DS Max, Maya, Z-Brush, Substance, and Marvelous Designer
- Excellent high and low poly modelling skills, as well as demonstrable skill with texture and shader creation within a PBR pipeline
- Solid grasp of colour theory and lighting techniques for quality presentation and the best player experience
- Strong knowledge of human and animal anatomy, materials and garb
- Ability to rapidly master proprietary tools and development pipelines, whilst communicating creative solutions
- Ability to be receptive to art direction and critiques from project leads
- Strong organisational, supervisory and mentoring skills
Bonus points if you have…
- Strong foundation in traditional art
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- A portfolio that demonstrates a range of high-quality 3D art, with examples of modelled, textured and lit characters, and a range of hard surface and organic model
- Character and prop concepting skills
- Samples from previous industry work
Perks and benefits include...
- Relocation assistance
- Company ownership, each employee is given a stake in the company
- Flexible working hours
- Premium health benefits
- Fertility and maternity leave
- Compassionate and bereavement leave
- Regular social events such as pub nights (including online), holiday parties, barbecues and conferences
- Cycle to work programme
Romero Games also includes sabbatical where at 5+ years, should you choose to take unpaid time for a personal project, they will cover 20% of your pay provided that it is in your area of interest.