Aardvark Swift is supporting Sumo Digital's Nottingham studio in their search for a a Lead AI Programmer to join us them an exciting new multiplayer title responsible for the output and development of the AI programming team. This is a fantastic opportunity to play a pivotal role in directly coordinating and contributing to the game's "behaviour."
In this role you will create, maintain, and evangelise best practices for the AI code team. You will be a champion for quality across the project and collaborate with all disciplines in the delivery of an exciting new AAA franchise.
You’ll be joining an experienced group of talented developers who share a passion for creating AAA quality games. Your skills and perspective will complement a team built on transparency, trust, and integrity; a team who are not afraid to challenge ourselves in the pursuit of excellence.
Your responsibilities will include...
- Lead your team to achieve the highest possible quality product
- Work with the Technical director, project leads and production to assist with planning and direction of the work of the AI team
- Help production prioritise and track the work of your team
- Work closely with Game and Level Designers, reviewing gameplay feature specifications and provide AI-specific insights where possible
- Design, write and test efficient code that meets and exceeds internal quality criteria
- Contribute to regular code reviews, championing code quality and best practices
- Coordinate your team to ensure milestones are delivered
The skills and experience you'll bring to the role...
- Excellent code design skills
- Have acted as lead on at least 1 shipped title
- Experienced in developing advanced AI features and systems on at least one published title
- Experience planning and scheduling work for a code team
- Expert in C/C++, minimum of 5 years' experience
- 4 years' experience working in the game industry required
- Experience in PC and/or console programming
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working on at least one large scale game project
- Experience with networking in games.
Bonus points if you have...
- Console programming experience
- Networking experience
The studio is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sumo Sheffield has a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.