Lead Gameplay Programmer (Hybrid Options)
- Posted 26 September 2022
- Salary Negotiable
- Job type Permanent
- Contact NamePaul Walker
Aardvark Swift is supporting Deep Silver’s Dambuster Studios who have an exciting new opportunity for an individual to lead their game code department as they work on the next instalment in the acclaimed zombie action survival series, Dead Island.
Your responsibilities will include...
Your primary responsibility is to build and manage a team who enable other departments to take gameplay features from concept to completion, realizing their vision in the required game environment and facilitating high quality gameplay.
You will spread knowledge of best practices and system architecture across the wider team. They should have an overall awareness of the needs of the game and be able to translate these into a set of systems which are flexible while meeting the high standards of engineering quality defined by the studio engineering director. You should be able to provide guidance where needed on problems that arise.
You will also be passionate and proactive about maintaining the team’s effectiveness through cultivating an environment where team members feel empowered, valued, engaged, and able to raise concerns freely. This will include mentoring and regular one on one catch-ups with team members– providing guidance and assistance and acting as a point of escalation/arbitration for any problems, issues, or disputes that occur.
The skills and experience you'll bring to the role...
- Preferably at least one published AAA game title in a programming leadership role
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills
- Leadership skills with the ability to delegate
- Strong 3d maths, software engineering & problem solving skills
- The ability to identify opportunities to optimise code in order to remain within performance and memory budgets
- The ability to understand and debug other programmers' code
- A desire to learn new skills and build on existing abilities
- Should be able to work amongst cross discipline groups in the delivery of shared goals
- Great communication skills, friendly, open minded, positive, self-motivated, proactive and the ability to direct a team and work with senior level stakeholders
- A genuine interest in playing games
Bonus points if you have...
- Previous experience working in a specialist area. E.g. AI, Physics, Networking, Audio. Project Management knowledge
- Experience of console development.
- Third party game engine experience.
Perks & Benefits...
- Funded learning and development opportunities
- Flexible working around core hours
- Quarterly company funded team building events
- Gym membership scheme
- Free financial advice
- Employee referral bonus scheme
- Relocation Assistance
- Employee led Diversity Council and Wellbeing Committee
This role is being offered on an in-studio or hybrid basis and will require the successful applicant to be able to attend the studio on a regular basis.