Senior AI Programmer
Build a Rocket Boy - Edinburgh, UK
Build A Rocket Boy are on the lookout for a Senior AI Programmer to join them in developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure.
In this role, you'll report to the Lead AI Programmer, and be responsible for designing and implementing large scale AI systems with minimal guidance and providing technical support and mentoring to more junior members of staff.
You’ll also expected to be proactive in dealing with other disciplines to resolve problems quickly and elicit clear requirements and translate them into flexible reusable solutions. As well as solving challenging new technical problems, a senior AI programmer will have a good understanding of best-practice and standard techniques across a range of AI gameplay systems and will keep up to date on innovations within the industry.
As a Senior Programmer, you will...
- Deliver high quality AI gameplay systems using appropriate levels of abstraction
- Choose appropriate AI solutions to balance the performance and behaviour requirements of the game
- Identify and debug technical problems quickly and efficiently
- Prioritise, plan and manage the time of assigned tasks with minimal oversight
- Help define the technical direction and develop innovative solutions for difficult AI problems
- Help mentor junior members of the AI programming team, and communicate clearly with other team members and teams with minimal external help
- Support other teams with the use of AI systems developed by the team
- Use appropriate data structures and algorithms to maximise efficiency (for both development time and runtime performance)
- Be vigilant for and report new problems, delays and risks to the appropriate lead/director
- Request support from higher levels when required
The skills and experience you'll need...
- Excellent awareness of AI specific paradigms and algorithms including performance and trade-offs of different approaches
- Ability to tune AI systems based on high level design input with minimal assistance
- Strong C++ programming and debugging skills
- Intuitive communication skills, and comfortable working across teams and mentoring staff.
- Extensive algorithm and data structure skills (including time and space complexity and real world vs theoretical performance)
- Able to understand and utilise multi-threading primitives and high level networking concepts
- Capable of reading and quickly understanding complex code
- Self-motivated and driven to creatively solve problems.
- The capacity to plan the work to build an entire sub-system including external dependencies with minimal input
- Videogame programming experience on AI gameplay systems, including having shipped at least one AAA PC/console title.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, high growth, start-up company environment
- Ability to work full-time based in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Bachelor’s degree with a Computer Science/Software Engineering focus or similar experience
You’ll be joining a team who are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time. They’re a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
Interested in hearing more about this role?
Get in touch for a confidential chat!
Email email@example.com or call +44 (0)1709 834777