Supermassive Games are seeking a Senior Combat Designer to play a key role on their exciting projects!
Supermassive Games are a BAFTA winning game studio who develop innovative storytelling titles. With a number of successful titles under their belt, Supermassive are best known for their critically acclaimed hits such as Until Dawn and their recent release, The Quarry.
As a Senior Combat designer at the studio, you will be designing and implementing core combat systems from a prototyping start. You will work alongside the systems and level teams to create exciting, varied and intuitive real time combat encounters. This role requires a strong understanding of Unreal Engine.
- Design and implement combat systems and game logic through visual scripting systems and in-house tools
- Aid in the development of compelling combat systems that scale and evolve in complexity and challenge through player progression
- Create and develop combat systems from concept to final quality in collaboration with the design team, programmers, and artists
- Create and translate prototypes into game systems and iterate them to quality
- Use and modify existing blueprints to create new gameplay
- Define sets of combat rules, actions, and abilities to accommodate and showcase enemy behaviours and their responses to player decisions and actions
- Craft exciting and rewarding 3rd person combat encounters and experiences that compete with the best in the genre
- Support the project leads and directors whilst guiding and mentoring other designers across the team
- Aid in the fostering of a collaborative and communicative team environment
The skills and experience you’ll bring to the role…
- 3-5 years of progressively complex combat design related experience
- Previous experience in a commercially shipped 3rd person action combat title with responsibility for combat design
- Experience of designing combat rules, enemy behaviours (AI) and skill progression systems
- The ability to create interesting, exciting, challenging, and varied combat experiences and encounters
- Experience scripting and level designing to accommodate combat scenarios and mechanics
- A track record designing and tuning combat scenarios and associated systems
- Knowledge in designing and writing scripts to handle gameplay systems, basic AI behaviours, state machines and scripted sequences
- Demonstrated experience of a collaborative approach to game making, showing how you worked together with the other disciplines and team members to realise the best possible game play experience
- Someone who actively seeks feedback to improve their work while also providing guidance and feedback to their peers
- The ability to iterate and rapidly prototype gameplay, and implement to quality
- Knowledge of 3rd person combat systems and techniques used in modern AAA titles
Perks and benefits include…
- Pension and life assurance
- 25 days annual leave
- Social events including the famously large summer party
Supermassive make big games with small teams and pride themselves on their supportive, inclusive, and friendly culture where work-life balance is both respected and protected. The studio celebrates and nurtures their team members and seeks to constantly improve tools and workflows so they can focus on creativity, further supported by fast decision-making to allow good ideas to flourish.