Black Forest Games are currently looking for a VFX Artist to work with them on upcoming projects with Unreal Engine 5.
To create their VFX they are using the tools which Epic provides as well as a variety of licensed software. In general they are very flexible and open-minded for new techniques and software.
The ideal candidate should have the passion and the skills to create VFX which are visually stunning, well timed, often interactive, and still performant. Black Forest Games are looking for someone that enjoys coming up with innovative solutions and is confident enough to tackle them.
Your responsibilities will include...
- Creation of Visual effects using Unreal 5 and a variety of technical approaches, matching the visual style of the game.
- Creation of most of the required VFX assets (meshes, textures, flow maps, image sequences, vertex animations, etc.)
- Communicate well with designers to collect all relevant information for the effect creation.
- Work together with VFX Lead, Tech Art and Code to ensure highest quality and best performance for effects.
- Follow through with an effect and keep it on the radar until it is fully implemented and working as intended.
- R&D for the effect pipeline – new tricks and techniques.
- Work on further improvements and customization of our existing effects toolset. (E.g. helping to build a library of useful material functions, Niagara module, VFX blueprints, etc.).
The skills and experience you'll bring to the role...
- 2+ years experience as VFX artist in a studio (we are flexible regarding the experience depending on the quality of the portfolio, delivered test task and interviews)
- Experience with Unreal 5 (Niagara, Blueprints, etc.).
- Experience with Realtime VFX the obstacles and challenges.
- Being capable of VFX asset creation (meshes, textures, flow maps, image sequences, vertex animations, etc.).
- Ability to adapt to visuals styles.
- Ability to create custom shaders and post effects.
- Inquisitive mindset and creative approach to work: capable to create effects in a constrained environment (project specific performance requirements, amount of emitters and particles, etc.).
- Organized and responsible workflow to maintain file hygiene.
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to work within a team.
- Self-drive and being able to take over a complex task, follow through with it until it is fully integrated and polished in the game.
- Proficient English skills.
Bonus points if you have...
- Experience with video visual effects software particles e.g. Adobe After Effects.
- Keen interest in in CGI effects production.
- Basic programming or scripting skills.
- Passion to grow your skillset and to include a variety of techniques into your effects. (e.g., metaballs, fluid simulation, morphing, complex particle behavior, etc.).
- Willingness to invest into tools design, further development, and documentation (sending your requests to tools code team).
- General CG artistic skills, such as animation, camera work, hand drawing skills.
Perks and Benefits...
- Flexible working hours
- Work-life balance
- Additional health insurance
- Fitness area in the studio
- Social events
- Relocation support
- Free German language classes
Black Forest Games is part of the fastest growing publisher in Europe, Embracer Group, and the biggest studio of THQ Nordic Vienna. Their last release was the highly successful remake of ‘Destroy All Humans!’.
Black Forest Games are based in the south of Germany, directly at the French border, they combine the creative freedom and culture of an independent studio with the financial security of a big publisher.