Mid-Senior AI Programmer (Remote)
- Posted 27 February 2023
- Salary Negotiable
- Job type Permanent
- Contact NamePaul Walker
Romero Games are looking for a passionate Mid-Senior AI Programmer to join their growing team on a full-time basis.
Romero Games are developing their next First Person Shooter in partnership with a major publisher! This is an unprecedented opportunity to join a thriving independent development studio and work on a high-profile title that will be played by millions of gamers worldwide.
As a Mid-Senior AI Programmer at the studio, you will help them create exciting character behaviours in Unreal Engine to support their cutting edge multiplayer PC and console games. As part of a thriving independent development studio, you will have a significant impact and contribute on multiple levels to the games they make.
- Develop exciting, efficient, and varied AI behaviours and controllers for the various characters in a real-time cutting-edge game in Unreal Engine 5
- Collaborate with fellow members of the development team to ensure the AI behaviour matches the requirements of the game design with the technical constraints of the game engine
- Integrate AI middleware to provide low-level navmesh, pathfinding, and dynamic obstacle avoidance capabilities
- Work closely with the animation team to ensure AI movement and actions are aligned with the character animations
- Plan and estimate schedules for the work required to implement the AI features in a timely manner
- Report directly to the Lead Programmer
The skills and experience you’ll bring to the role...
- Proven track record of designing and implementing real-time AI behaviours in a 3D environment
- Deep understanding of real-time behaviour planning
- Solid understanding of navmeshes and real-time pathfinding
- Experience implementing AI senses, plans, and reactions efficiently in real-time games
- Experience mapping AI behaviours to character animations and physics
- Proficient in C++
- Knowledge of how to profile and optimise code for memory and performance
- 3+ years professional experience in the games industry
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
It’s a bonus if you have…
- Professional experience using Unreal Engine
- Experience developing AI for a First Person or Third Person Shooter
- Experience integrating external AI middleware with Unreal, such as Havok AI and Kythera
Perks and benefits include...
- Relocation assistance
- Company ownership, each employee is given a stake in the company
- Flexible working hours
- Premium health benefits
- Fertility and maternity leave
- Compassionate and bereavement leave
- Regular social events such as pub nights (including online), holiday parties, barbecues and conferences
- Cycle to work programme