Variable State are looking for a talented Gameplay Programmer to join the team. Their small, successful studio is growing; an award-winning indie games studio based in the UK. ‘Virginia’ is the studio's debut game, released in 2016; the game was nominated for multiple awards, including 4 Independent Games Festival awards and 3 BAFTA awards.
If you’re an experienced video Gameplay Programmer who likes to work in an open and transparent environment (on awesome games), this could be the role for you. They’re looking for someone who can hit the ground running and can work self sufficiently.
Your role and responsibilities will include...
- Hands-on prototyping, developing, implementing and maintaining key gameplay systems
- Working closely with the design and content creation teams to develop and refine game mechanics
- Delivering optimal solutions through creative thinking and technical innovation
- Following best practices, development processes, documentation and coding standards
- Working in Unreal Engine 5 in collaboration with the wider programming team
The skills and experience you'll need...
- 2+ years professional game development
- Credits in a programming role on at least one commercially released game for console or PC
- Excellent C++, software design, optimisation and debugging skillset
- Expertise with Unreal Engine 4
- Fluency in English
Bonus points if you have skills and experience in...
- Gameplay systems and game design
- AAA titles on console and PC platforms
- The full development lifecycle, from prototyping through to post-release support
- Version Control software and Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Other engines eg. Unity/CryEngine/GameMaker/etc